Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Twins

Palm Sunday service in Goshen
The sermon of Jesus’ return to Jerusalem…
and knowing what's coming

As the entrance hymn fades, I'm
Wondering where the damp, chilly morning went
Wondering how it gave way to muggy warmth
Wondering why I urged the twins to wear their jackets
Wondering when I last saw a coppery noon sky
Wondering what's coming

On the mound in Pringle Park,
a whiffle curve doesn't break.
Whistling the increasing wind, just past my ear
turns me around and while the wind is gaining ground. . .
                an early warning
the winning run scores
                of what's coming.

The gathering darkness crept up from the west
Didn't we just spring forward?
An increasing weight bears down on my chest
Thunder rumbles, but the horizon conceals what's coming.

Everyone into the Electra, dust sweeps back to what's coming
It seems to keep us from 33.
Look right, clear, look left, fear
There's a train, then two, then three



The entrance hymn in refrain, no longer clear on what remains
But now, in Goshen, it is clear what's coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment